Monday, September 6, 2010

Conventional Wisdom and Gout

If you follow conventional wisdom you would think that eating red meats is one of the primary causes of gout. Gout, sometimes called the "rich man's disease", is a disease whereby inflammation occurs in joints due to high uric acid levels in the blood. The uric acid crystallizes at the joints and causes extreme pain. Some recent research indicates that red meats and foods with high purine levels are actually not the primary cause. Sugars and the increased intake of fructose over the last couple of decades are leading to the elevated uric acid levels in the blood. This can help explain why the number of cases of gout have nearly doubled over the past 20 years.

I personally have had trouble with gout over the past 15 years. I got my first attack around the age of 20. I have had attacks in my twenties 3-4 times per year and in some instances having symptoms for over a month! I went to various doctors and took heavens knows how many medications to help with the condition. I recall taking Allopurinol to prevent gout from occurring but I would still get an attack after 6 months of the regimen.


It wasn't until a couple years ago when my friend Chuck showed me some information about possible causes of gout. This lead me to do more research and I stumbled upon some info linking gout to low levels of potassium. When I went started my caveman lifestyle, I started to also  have a banana each day. I believe the combination of the two was the ticket.

I've been gout free ever since. Two years now and counting. If you are a gout sufferer you know how desperate you can get for pain relief. I have almost forgotten what that is like...

DJ

1 comment:

Chuck said...

WOW, I think family doctors should really start paying attention to this stuff. We could save the country billions just by repeating the couple of success stories that have been documented on this site.