Thursday, May 19, 2011

Concerned About Food Safety?

Everyone should be concerned with the quality of their food and whether it is safe to consume.  Growing your own food is the best way to control food quality but that is unrealistic for many foods and many people.  A while ago I created a Hierarchy of Food post which will help point you in the right direction.  I also did a post on acquiring quality food on a budget.  As you read through those you'll notice I don't draw a line in the sand when it comes to organic food.  The bottom line is organic costs more and is not realistic for many when making a change from cheap processed crap to real, whole foods.  You will enjoy great health improvements by eating the right foods, organic or not.  


I wish I could afford 100% organic 100% of the time but I can't.  I do have several small gardens in my yard that provide a lot of naturally raised veggies when they are in season.  The fact that I can't afford organic all the time doesn't make me any less concerned about food quality.  Here is a list from the Environmental Working Group talking about the foods you should buy organic and the ones you shouldn't be quite as concerned about.




The good news is more consumers are demanding higher quality food.  There are more grocery stores that specialize in organic.  Conventional grocery stores are carrying more organic.  Farmers markets are becoming bigger and more popular.  All this is good for us the consumers.  It means better selection and better prices.  


CP

1 comment:

MAS said...

Did not know about celery. IMO, that is one food where the non-organic version clearly tastes better. Maybe I'll give the organic another chance.