Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hierarchy of Food

I already talked about What to Eat, What Not To.  Now let's discuss quality of foods.  Take a look at this list and let me known if there are any questions.  The list is in order of importance.

1)  First and foremost, eat like a caveman.
  
2)  Eat real foods.  Buy foods that don't have an ingredient label.  Real foods (produce, fresh meats) don't require ingredient lists because anyone can tell what it is without the assistance of a label.  Eggs are eggs, beef is beef, lettuce is lettuce, an apple is an apple.  The only way to control your health is to know what you put in your body.

3)  Eat naturally raised foods.  Foods that are naturally raised contain much less toxins than chemically raised foods.

4)  Try to buy local foods.  Local foods are typically fresher which in turn means they will be more nutrient dense.  There are plenty of other reasons to buy local if you can.  You help the local economy.  Small, local farmers tend to be proud of their craft and will show exactly how your food is produced and harvested.

I know it is not always affordable and realistic to follow all 4 of these rules.  If you make a conscious effort to live by 1 and follow 2, 3, and 4 as much as you can, you and your family will be much better off today and in the long run.

CP

1 comment:

Jan said...

Agreed! In fact, I'd go further and say live by 1 and 2 (well, I like dairy, but you know what I mean) and try to follow 3 and 4 as much as you can. I really and truly cannot think of any reason to buy anything that's not a whole, natural food. My teenage son still eats bread and pasta, so I make them - which is really easier than most people think.