conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormalOK, so being common or usual is "normal". Let's look at some the common traits of health and diet in America.
- About two thirds of Americans are overweight.
- Most people believe weight control is as simple as calories in, calories out.
- The most common cause of death is heart disease.
- The second most common cause of death is cancer.
- The major source of calories in the Standard American Diet come from processed, grain based foods.
- Carbohydrates are considered to be a healthy foundation of anyone's diet.
- Americans try to avoid fat except for supposedly healthy vegetables oils.
- Animal fats are widely accepted as unhealthy.
- The average American consumes 142 pounds of sugar per year.
- About half of Americans take at least 1 prescription drug per day.
So as the definition of "normal" reads, I am striving to be abnormal in many ways. I am happy to say I have been successful thus far. Unfortunately it is going to take big changes by millions of people for healthy to again become "normal". I write about this stuff because I want everyone to be healthy. It's not up to me though. It's up to each individual to decide they no longer want to be "normal". They must embrace abnormal.