Let me be clear though, water is not the only liquid I drink but it probably consists of 75% of what ends up in my belly. I do get crazy on occasion and treat myself. The other 25% is homemade smoothies, tea, coffee, and alcoholic beverages. Coffee and tea are also inexpensive but I don't drink a lot of either because of the way they can make me feel. Wired and sometimes nauseous. Anyways, that is what I drink but if you are not convinced to stop drinking soft drinks for financial reasons, how about for health reasons?
Here are some key stats from a study regarding regular and diet soft-drink drinkers.
The study referenced is here. Easy to read article is here. Too bad they also didn't compare non soft-drink drinkers.
For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
- 26% for up to 1/2 can each day
- 30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
- 32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
- 47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
- 36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
- 37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
- 54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
- 57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
The crazy thing is people who drink "diet" soft-drinks are doing it to lose weight yet they are the ones who are more likely to become overweight. I am not going to speculate on the cause of this phenomena. I am not sure whether diet beverages are actually causing people to become overweight. It could be likely that overweight people happen to drink diet soda more often. In the end, it's crap and it's not helping anyone lose weight.