Monday, June 18, 2012

Still Think Saturated Fat is Dangerous?


This is a graph recently posted on Dietdoctor.com  It was published in The British Journal of Nutrition.  It is yet more glaring evidence showing that it is extremely likely saturated fat is not the killer nutrient it has been made out to be.  I have had my head  buried in the paleo sand for so long that I kinda forgot that most people try to avoid saturated fat for health purposes.  I did a detailed blog post regarding saturated fat almost 2 years ago.  With the myriad of evidence out there showing no correlation with sat fat and heart disease, I feel that the experts should look outside of the box and question whether the status quo is the healthiest option.  

I was recently asked to talk with a group regarding my nutrition philosophies.  The group mostly consisted of classically trained dietitians.  I was pleased that on many counts we were very much on the same page.  They are a progressive group in that they tend to get updated frequently on the latest information on nutrition.  On the other hand, there were some points I made that I don't think they had been presented with previously.  Saturated fat was definitely a point of contention during our conversation.  

Evidence like the graph above will definitely continue to open the eyes of the objective experts.  The sooner we can get over this perceived villian, the sooner we can move on to hopefully find truly dangerous foods and nutrients.


CP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should really read the comments at dietdoctor.com before reposting this silly graph.

Chuck said...

the graph is not silly, i'd say it is very thought provoking. is it definitive evidence? no, but it sure should make someone rethink their thoughts about the danger of saturated fat.