Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Plant Based Diets Are NOT Inherently Healthier

It is quite sad really.  People often cut meat from their diet for the perceived health benefits.  I am sure there are more healthy ways to do this than others but the bottom line is, meat is not the evil, human killing food it has been made out to be.  It is an integral part of a healthy diet.

I have to admit a morbid habit I have.  Every time a celebrity passes away, I Google their name with the words "vegan" and "vegetarian".  I am not sure why these diets seem to be more popular among the celebrity crowd but it doesn't seem to be saving them from chronic diseases.  Although I suspect their diet could be part of the problem, I am not going to make that absolute deceleration because I don't know everything about these people.  What I will say is that this way of eating does not seem to be saving their lives.  The latest celebrity to pass who was also a vegetarian was Michael Clarke Duncan.  He died September 3rd of complications from a July 13th heart attack.  He was 54.  He was a vegetarian for the last 3 years.


He follows these celebrity vegan/vegetarians who also passed recently:

Robin Gibb – died of liver and colon cancer at age 62
Davey Jones – died of heart disease at age 66
Steve Jobs – died of pancreatic cancer at age 56

Adam Yauch - died of salivary gland cancer at age 47

I feel bad for the family, friends, and fans of these celebrities.  By all accounts they were good people who passed too soon.  Please when considering a diet change, do a deep dig into how it came to be assumed that a plant based diet was a surefire way to achieve long term health.  You will be surprised to find that much of the negative claims against meat are false.

CP  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sucks about Duncan, I enjoyed his work. Our family followed a vegetarian diet for nearly exactly one year after reading the China Study. Not good in so many ways. Current way of eating (mostly paleo/primal) feel SO much better.